20 Argumentative Essay Topics For Middle School
An argumentative essay is designed to explain to your reader information about one side of an argument. It is a lot like a persuasive essay because the idea is to explain one side of an issue but the idea is to present the facts without your opinion involved. A persuasive essay would display personal opinions. So for an argumentative essay simply state which side of the issue you believe in and then give your reasoning as to why you believe it.
There are some great topics to consider when choosing a topic for your argumentative essay. You would choose a topic that interests you. Once you have the topic, answer the question and then support your answer with at least three reasons why you believe it. For example, if you take the first option on the list, you can write that sports should not be coed and then tell your reader three reasons why it shouldn’t be coed.
- Should sports be coed?
- Should schools sell fast food?
- Should students wear school uniforms?
- Should there be harsher punishments for bullying?
- Is it fair to ban preteenagers and teenagers from the mall without adult supervision?
- Should there be less homework?
- When are you old enough to stay home alone?
- Should middle school students still have a bed time?
- Does summer school benefit the student?
- How would you change the school lunch menu?
- Should school sports be mandatory?
- Do kids watch too much television?
- Should kids have chores?
- Should you have to wear your seat belt on the bus?
- Should students who play sports still have to take Gym class?
- Should children be more concerned with what they eat so that they don’t have health problems when they get older?
- Should you get a larger allowance?
- Should school be year round with more breaks to improve education?
- Do violent games and television shows make kids violent?
- Should your school have a school newspaper?
Any one of these topics would work well. They are designed to establish a question pertaining to a conflicted view and then challenge yourself to prove your stance. Therefore, you would tell your side of the dispute and then for each body paragraph talk about a different reason why you believe it.
Fire up your debate engines! We’ve got 60 persuasive essay and speech topics that will give students an opportunity to craft persuasive essays and/or arguments for oral debate. Our persuasive essay and speech topics are designed to spark critical thinking and can be modified for students in elementary, middle and high school. They are grouped by topic for easy student and teacher reference. Feel free to print the entire list for plenty of inspiration for your next persuasive or argumentative essay assignment!
Society and Culture Essay and Speech Topics
- Have humans become too dependent on technology?
- Who contributes more to modern society: teachers or doctors?
- Should gaming and casinos be legalized in all states?
- Is the use of pesticides in farming worth the health risks?
- Is the idea of the “American Dream” still attainable in today’s society?
- Should parents be held accountable/responsible for what their children post on social media websites?
- Should corporations be required to engage in responsible citizenship, including environmental accountability?
- Is the Electoral College system still effective?
- Are zoos important and necessary sources of conservation and research or outdated displays of exotic animals?
- What means of producing electricity has the least harmful impact on the environment?
- Should the government be required to provide health insurance to all its citizens?
- Should the drinking age be lowered?
- Should guaranteeing medical care to all citizens be a responsibility of the government?
- Does the general population have the right to access information about the private lives of politicians?
- Should there be mandatory water rationing during drought conditions?
- Should there be a reinstatement of the military draft?
- Who was the most effective American president?
- Who is the most effective current political leader outside of America?
- Should there be body scanners at airports to detect weapons?
- Is it more effective to volunteer your time or to donate your money to a cause you support?
- Should corporations be allowed to collect an individual’s personal data from social media sources without their consent?
- Are current methods of discouraging cyberbullying and harassment effective?
- Should the government have access to tracking information through our mobile devices?
- Who should bear the responsibility for making change in a society: individual citizens or elected officials?
Schools and Education Essay and Speech Topics
- Are private school vouchers helping our society to provide a quality education for all?
- What is more effective: coed education or single-gender schools?
- Do colleges put too much stock in standardized test scores?
- Should students be required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance each morning at school?
- What role should current events play in a child’s school curriculum?
- What is the impact of school uniforms?
- Does extended recess time have a positive impact on student health and learning?
- Should sign language be taught to all students as a second language?
- Should high schools have a later start time?
- Should schools ban the use of cell phones by students during school hours?
- What is the impact of assigning nightly homework to students?
- During which grade should students begin to receive homework assignments?
- What is the role social media should have in the school environment?
- What is more effective, a year-round school calendar or a traditional nine-month calendar?
- Should school officials be allowed to search students’ lockers and personal possessions?
- Should students be grouped by age or by ability in school classrooms?
- What is the most important subject taught in school?
- Are there any academic benefits to the study of video games?
- Are current methods of school discipline effective?
- Should higher education be free for all admitted students?
- Are standardized tests an accurate measure of student learning or ability?
- What are the most effective ways to curb school bullying?
- Is a college degree a requirement for success in life?
Personal Choices and Personal Values Essay and Speech Topics
- Which makes a better pet, a dog or a cat?
- Have reality television shows changed people’s television viewing habits?
- What is the best book you have ever read, and why was it so good?
- Is it better to give or to receive?
- Is it still important to teach manners and etiquette to children?
- When should children be permitted to have their own cell phones?
- If you won the lottery and could only donate the money to charity, which cause would you choose and why?
- Which lifestyle is more conducive to a happy life, urban living or country living?
- Should children be limited to the number of hours they are allowed to play video games every week?
- If you could time travel, would it be better to visit the past or the future?
- Is it better to be a night owl or an early bird?
- Do opposites really attract?
- What is more important: earning a large salary or doing work that benefits other people?
Looking for more essay topics?
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Descriptive Essay Topics
Cause and Effect Essay Topics
Narrative Essay Topics